“Vitamin Supplements To Help Prevent Disease”
Antioxidant vitamins help protect us from the damage caused by free radicals. Usually our bodies produce the chemicals that prevent the damage caused by these health problems, but such isn’t the case anymore.
Our poor diets, our nearly constant exposure to sources of free radicals, and our present-day lifestyles have our bodies fighting a losing battle. Fortunately there are vitamin supplements and antioxidant vitamins that can help us get our bodies back on track for better health.
What Causes A Free Radical?
Free radicals are a process of our cellular metabolism. Our environment unfortunately, creates more of them in the form of various types of pollution. Our exposure to pollution causes more free radicals, as does smoking, and drinking. The lack of vitamin antioxidant vitamins in most of our diets lets the problem build up over time.
In fact, our lifestyles are a big contributor to the problem, as you can see. Added to all of the above problems, our daily stresses also make us vulnerable to free radical damage since it affects our immune system.
What Are the Effects of Free Radicals?
When they run amok in our bodies, they cause a variety of health problems. These include:
- Various types of cancer.
- Advanced signs of aging as cells break down faster.
- Heart disease.
- Muscle tissue degeneration.
In the war against free radicals, we have a variety of tools to fight with. There are several vitamins and minerals that produce the antioxidants we need to neutralize them. There are also various herbal supplements on the market that we can take to help us. I would recommend getting your multi-vitamins from "Vitabase", because of the quality of their products and low pricing.
Rather than waiting for a health problem to cause us to suddenly become dependent on potentially dangerous prescription drugs, it is better to take preventative measures such as antioxidant supplements.
Good Antioxidant Vitamins
- Vitamin E. This is found in nuts and seeds as well as vegetable and fish oils. Whole grains are also a source of this vitamin.
- Vitamin C. This water soluble vitamin is found in many fruits and vegetables, including strawberries, kiwi, broccoli, and spinach, as well as our old favorite: oranges.
- Beta-carotene. Carrots are the best known source for this vitamin, but there are many other vegetables that contain it. Spinach, squash, yams, and tomatoes have it as well. Other foods such as egg yolks, milk, and grains are also a good source.
Natural Herbal Supplements
All of the above vitamins and minerals you can get easily by altering your diet. You just need to make healthier choices, and you may want to consider a couple of herbs that can help as well.
- Garlic. Although it is used as a spice this herb is a great health supplement in its own right. It is well known for its antioxidant properties.
- Green Tea. Another well know source of antioxidants, many of us have taken to enjoying a cup of two a day. This is a very easy way to add a health supplement to our day. It may even help replace our coffee habit!
The use of antioxidant supplements should become a part of your diet as soon as possible. So many things we do, even exercise, produce free radicals and we need the ability to counter them. In a balanced situation, our bodies would be able to produce the antioxidants we need in the right amount to maintain our health.
Since our lifestyles put us in jeopardy, it is up to us reclaim our health. Antioxidant vitamin supplements are a large help but changes such as controlling our smoking and drinking, watching our exposure to harsh pollutants like car exhaust and chemicals and controlling our stress help these health supplements do their job.
Return to the home page: Natural Herbal Remedies Guide