Constipation Natural Remedies
“Expert Advice On How To Get Rid Of Constipation”
Constipation Natural Remedies provides tips and advice to resolve this unpleasant problem. Are you feeling bloated and uncomfortable...and strain during bowel movements? Have you tried over-the-counter laxatives and find them too harsh on your system? The right constipation remedies and lifestyle changes can give you the relief you’re looking for... and without dangerous side effects.
What Really Causes Constipation?
Through my extensive research on natural health, I’ve learned that the best step you can take to begin tackling a pesky health issue is to become as informed as possible about it. Constipation is no exception. Did you know that nearly 15% of U.S. adults suffer from constipation at one time or another? Finding a solution is important not just for comfort’s sake, but because if left untreated, this problem can cause permanent damage to your digestive system.
That’s why it’s a good idea to learn about why it happens and find some remedies for constipation so that you can start enjoying life without having to deal with this annoying problem.
The first thing you need to know is that constipation is a symptom of a problem, not a disease in itself. If you’re healthy, you should be having 1 to 3 bowel movements a day if you’re eating 3 meals a day.
The Main Symptoms Of Constipation Are:
- Infrequent bowel movements (less than 1 per day)
- Stools that are small and dry
- Feeling pain and difficulty while trying to eliminate
- General discomfort
Should I See A Doctor?
In some cases, constipation is so serious that you’ll want to see a doctor. For example, if constipation along with fever, blood in your stool or abdominal pain, you should seek medical attention. Constipation that lasts for extended periods of time should also be addressed as soon as possible, since you can permanently damage your intestinal tract if it goes untreated.
In other cases, constipation is due to lifestyle factors, in which case certain changes and constipation natural remedies will be effective. My suggestion to those dealing with constipation is to take action now – don’t wait for the problem to get worse. Find a remedy for constipation that works so you can become regular once again, feel better, and live a long healthy life.
Constipation Can Lead To:
- Colon cancer
- Toxins in your blood
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- Poor memory, concentration, confusion
- Weakened immune system
What Goes Wrong?
Understanding how the colon works really shed some light for me on why people become constipated and how it can be treated. Let me give you a little insight that I found helpful; when food moves through the colon, it absorbs liquid while forming waste products or stool. What happens if the muscles in the colon contract too slowly or not enough is that this slows the process so more water is absorbed. The result? The fecal matter becomes very dry and hard, making defecation can very difficult and painful.
7 Reasons or Causes of Constipation
1. Lack of fiber- This is probably the most common cause of constipation. We need plenty of fiber in order for waste to pass through the colon efficiently and thoroughly. Fiber also promotes healthy bacteria in the colon, which work to break down waste and stimulate proper bowel contractions. Fiber also gives stools bulk and a soft texture which makes them easy (and painless!) to pass. For this reason, high-fiber foods can act effectively as constipation natural remedies. Choose foods high in insoluble fiber, such as:
- whole grains
Foods that contain “refined flour” have very little or no fiber. Eating too many fiber-poor foods slows the normal and healthy wave-like motion of the intestines that is needed to pass digested matter through the body. You should limit your intake of sweet, processed products like ice cream and pastries, opting instead for foods with lots of fiber.
2. Lack of water- When you’re not getting enough water, your body will compensate by taking it from anywhere it can find it. If this happens, your stools will become dry and hard due to lack of water to soften the stools. If you’re looking for a remedy for constipation, it might be as close as your kitchen tap: Everyone needs at least 8 eight ounce glasses of water a day. Coffee, tea and sodas do not count – they actually dehydrate you even further and can make your constipation worse.
3. Stress & anxiety- This cause really surprised me, and although it’s not completely clear how stress, anxiety and irritable bowel syndrome are related, studies do show that there is a connection. One theory is that people with anxiety, who tend to worry more about issues such as money, health or careers are tenser. This tension manifests in the body and can tighten up muscles in the digestive tract and lead to problems..
Following that logic, my suggestion would be to reduce stress. I recommend relaxation exercises – you can simply sit quietly and breathe slowly and deeply. As you rest, think about relaxing each part of your body, starting with your head and ending with your toes. This simple exercise will help get rid of any tension and provide some relief from constipation.
4. Over use of laxatives and certain medications can cause:
- Stomach cramps
- Diarrhea leading to dehydration
- Rectal bleeding
- Electrolyte imbalance
- Permanent damage to the colon can cause the muscles that control a bowel movement to become weak so they won’t be able to function on their own
Certain medications can also cause or worsen constipation. If you feel that this is the case, check with your doctor about switching to a different medication. Common culprits include:
- Medication like morphine and codeine
- Calcium antacid pills that have aluminum and calcium
- Some calcium channel blockers
- Anti-parkinson drugs
- Some antidepressants
Check with your healthcare provider, he/she can often prescribe a different medication if you suspect your medication is causing your constipation.
5. Congested liver- The main function of the liver is to process and get rid of toxins in the body. Over time, an unhealthy lifestyle that includes things like a high fat, low fiber processed food diet and inactivity will contribute to liver overload or toxicity of the liver. This condition can result in chronic constipation.
To combat this situation, it’s important to eat a well-balanced, high fiber diet in order to promote healthy bile flow. If you suspect that an unhealthy liver is the root cause of your constipation, there are some excellent constipation natural remedies in the form of liver cleaners on the market. Fortunately, treating constipation in this way by using natural remedies is not harmful to your intestinal tract.
6. Change in routine- The stress of something as simple as a “change in routine” can often lead to constipation. I have experienced this myself a few times. When I travel, it takes me a few days for my system to get going. This happens to quite a few people who travel. Now, as a precaution, I always take my constipation capsules with me – just in case.
Even though it can be inconvenient, don’t ever ignore the urge to have a bowel movement. Doing so will only make things worse!
7. Pregnancy- Pregnant women have an increase in the hormone progesterone, which slows the movement of food through the digestive tract. This hormonal change can be balanced out by eating plenty of high fiber food such as cereals, fresh fruit, vegetables and whole grain bread every day and drinking plenty of water. Regular exercise is also important for women to stay in shape during and after pregnancy.
Dangerous Side Effects Of Laxatives
Serious side effects of laxatives- Many people turn to over-the-counter laxatives for constipation relief. Unfortunately, over-the-counter laxatives are not safe if used for too long and can actually decrease your intestine’s natural ability to contract and move fecal matter. So, they aren’t really a long-term solution.
Laxatives can also be very harsh on your system. They can also become additive and lead to dependency and decreased bowel movement as your body loses the ability to “take care of business” on its own. That’s why it’s so important to find a good constipation remedy that is easy on your digestive system and has no side effects.
Some rectal and oral laxatives can also cause an electrolyte imbalance if you use them for too long. Electrolytes are the salts that control the electric activity in your body. They affect all kinds of important systems, including your muscle contraction, nerve function, heart rhythm, and fluid balance.
Natural constipation remedies are safe to use because they don’t have the side effects that other treatments do. Some studies I came across even show that certain over-the-counter laxatives kill friendly bacteria. These bacteria, also known as probiotics, are vital to our well-being! Friendly bacteria are needed in the intestines to break down food allow the body to better absorb valuable nutrients. These bacteria also combat the other, harmful bacteria that can cause infection. Fortunately, natural remedies do not kill these friendly bacteria.
While I don’t recommend most laxatives for anyone, it’s especially critical not to give them to children under 6 without recommendation from a doctor. The same goes for women who are pregnant. Even constipation natural remedies should be used with careful caution for young children and pregnant women – if you’re not sure, ask your healthcare provider!
After trying a few different constipation natural remedies, I’ve found that what works best for me is a product called “Natural Moves”. I swear by it, and this has also worked for literally hundreds of my former customers. This natural treatment for constipation promotes healthy regular bowel movements. It acts as a gentle laxative, but also works quickly, showing results in just 6 to 12 hours! It even relieves the bloated, straining and uncomfortable feeling during bowel movements. I will let you be the judge – if you’re looking for relief, try Natural Moves and see if it works for you as well as it has for me!
What I really love about Natural Moves is that it is one of the safest, non-addictive remedies for constipation. Constipation natural remedies like Natural Moves even help clean the liver of toxins and causes no harmful side effects.
Back to the top of page: “Constipation Natural Remedies”
Return to the home page: Natural Herbal Remedies Guide