Best At Home Teeth Whitening Kit
"Don’t Suffer from Yellowed or Stained Teeth"
Effective at home teeth whitening is a subject that remains close to my heart. This is because when I was a teen I developed a severe case of acne and was treated with several courses of antibiotics which caused a severe greyish discoloration of my teeth. My parents were unaware of the possibility of this side effect and were understandably upset that a medication would cause so much anxiety and embarrassment. I suffered for many years with social problems caused by this until at last home bleaching kits came to my rescue.
These days there are many at home teeth whitening kits that can help remedy tooth discoloration and help boost self confidence. It is no longer necessary to suffer the shyness and difficulty with the opposite sex that results from problem teeth. Bright, white teeth are seen as an important beauty asset and anybody who has yellowed or otherwise discoloured teeth should research the appropriate teeth whitening options that is best suited to them.
There are several advantages to using an at home whitening system:
- At home kits are more affordable than dental office treatments, with similar results in many cases.
- There are generally fewer side effects.
- At home kits are convenient as they can be used at any time.
What to Consider when Choosing a Teeth Whitening System
Not all at home teeth whitening kits are created equal. Home bleaching kits come in a variety of forms including chewing gums, dental rinses, bleaching gels and toothpaste. I would like to emphasize that the product you choose should be safe for both your teeth and gums. The American Dental Association publishes a list of safe at home bleaching products and you should ensure that the product you decide to use is listed here.
Safety and effectivness should be your main considerations. The product you choose should be both easy to use and comfortable to insert and wear and the quality of the product should be in line with its price.
There are two main types of home teeth whitening kits:
1. High concentration whitening gels:
These usually contain carbamide peroxide and are usually applied in gel form using plastic trays. The trays are placed into the mouth in a short term treatment program, generally 15-20 minutes. Two applications are usually needed, sometimes more.
2. Low concentration whitening gels or strips:
This type of teeth whitening kit also contains carbamide peroxide, but in lower concentrations. These usually generate poorer results than products with higher concentrations and may need to be worn for several hours for as long as 14 days. The results of this type of product can vary widely from one or two shades difference to several, depending on the degree and cause of teeth staining.
Side Effects and Sensitivity Problems
At home bleaching kits can cause a variety of side effects, most of which should resolve in a few days once the kit is removed. You should be aware of the following unpleasant effects and try to avoid any bleaching products in which such effects are severe:
- Irritation of the gums and mouth caused by whitening gels and poorly fitting trays and mouth guards. This generally resolves completely within 3 days.
- Gel kits can cause burning of the skin if the oxidizing agent touches sensitive mouth tissues. These may become bleached or discoloured.
- Teeth may become over-bleached with some home teeth whitening products. This usually happens with too strong of a product that drastically change the color in a very short time period (one hour kits).
- Increased sensitivity to heat or cold.
- Pain from some home teeth whitening products may burn the gums.
- Some people become overly concerned with teeth whitening to the point where it may become an unhealthy obsession.
- Some studies have shown that teeth whitening color changes do not last -with almost half the change being lost within seven days. This is caused by a rebound reaction of the teeth to the dehydration.
- Tooth enamel may be affected but not usually to a significant degree.
Natural Methods To Whiten Teeth
- Malic Acid is sometimes used to whiten teeth. Malic acid is found in fruits and gives them their slightly sour taste. Crushed strawberries contain malic acid and can be used to whiten the teeth if applied for five minutes. Never apply fruit acids excessively as they can damage tooth enamel and have the opposite effect of staining if left on for too long or used too often.
- Baking soda is a popular remedy for removing stains from sensitive teeth. Applied the baking soda on a toothbrush and use circular brush strokes. Both malic acid and baking soda should be used sparingly as they can cause enamel damage if used too often. Lemon juice may also be used with the same caution – a few drops at most used very occasionally.
- Baking soda & hydrogen peroxide can be mixed to form natural toothpaste. (one part baking soda to two parts hydrogen peroxide). Again, I urge you to use caution with this whitening method as it can damage tooth enamel.
Just because a product is natural doesn’t mean that it is gentle on the teeth or necessarily effective. There are natural home teeth whitening solutions which can damage tooth enamel and irritate the gums and the occasional allergic reaction is possible.
“Smile 4 You” Teeth Whitening Kit
"Smile 4 You" manufactured by Dr. George’s Dental White This was the best rated at home teeth whitening kit. I tested several of the top brands and our testers were most impressed with the ease of use and saw a real whitening of their teeth in just 30 minutes. Some testers were seeing their teeth up to 7 shades whiter in just 2 weeks. The main ingredient is Carbamide Peroxide which last longer than other bleaching agents like Hydrogen Peroxide and we noticed the amount of gel in the kit was about 4 times the amount in some of the other products we purchased during this test.
The kit contains a whitening gel, mouth trays that actually fit and all the instructions required to effectively apply the product in the comfort of your home. The kit is clinically tested and USFDA approved to whiten teeth in the safest and fastest way.
The gel is placed into the trays and the trays are inserted into the mouth. The trays are worn for a few minutes at a time. The product is very affordable in comparison to other at home bleaching systems. “Smile 4 You” home whitening kits can only be purchased online. The system does not require the use of messy strips or additional whitening toothpastes, so I highly recommend this product.
The active ingredient used in the “Smile 4 You” kit can be used with complete confidence because it is safe to use and whitens teeth very quickly. All of my testers recommended this product and commented that they thought the product was a safe, effective teeth whitening kit.
As with any teeth bleaching program you should visit your dentist for a complete examination of the teeth and gums. This is because the peroxide in home bleaching kits can aggravate existing dental problems. Once your dentist gives you the go ahead you can start the journey toward brighter whiter teeth. Good luck and enjoy your new brighter smile!
For more information about the whitening your teeth, check out:
“Top 10 Teeth Whitening Products”
Back to the top of page: “Best At Home Teeth Whitening Kit”