Safe Skin Whitening Creams
“Expert Advice On Skin Bleaching Creams”
Choosing safe skin whitening creams is vital if you want to ensure the protection of your skin during a skin lightening program. Skin whiteners containing mercury, hydroquinone, steroids and parabens are unsafe and need to be avoided in favor of products containing natural, approved ingredients.
In the United States the use of mercury in beauty care products has been limited and the use of hydroquinone restricted to levels of 2% or under. Yet, according to my research, one out of every four skin whitening products manufactured in Asia (and still sold in the U.S.) has been found to contain mercury.
Mercury toxicity can cause headaches, numbness, forgetfulness, depression, neurological and kidney damage and lead to serious psychiatric disorders. I cannot urge you strongly enough to use only safe whitening creams that contain natural ingredients that wont harm your skin or body.
Other effects caused by the unwise use of skin lighteners are:
- Premature aging
- An increase in the risk of melanoma due to sun exposure − if you are using a skin whitener you must also use a sunscreen when outdoors.
- Thinning skin, infections and acne caused by steroid-based creams.
- Steroid absorption if large areas are covered.
- Hydroquinone-induced skin discoloration.
- Skin irritation and allergic reactions can occur even with natural ingredients.
Safety Considerations When Using a Skin Lightener:
- Examine the ingredient list thoroughly to ensure that the product is mercury free. Mercury may be listed as calomel, mercuric, mercurous or mercurio.
- Ensure the product does not contain hydroquinone or if it does that it contains no more than 2%.
- If the product is not manufactured in the U.S., suspect unsafe levels of hydroquinone.
- Avoid or use steroid preparations with great care.
- Inform your doctor about your use of a skin lightener.
The Overuse of Skin Whitening Creams
One of the biggest dangers inherent in the use of skin lightening products is their overuse. Safe skin whitening creams should be used for a period of two to three months. If you stay out of the sun, the lightening effect should be permanent. Overuse can actually cause the skin to become darker and more pigmented creating precisely the effect you have been trying to cure.
So which products are safe to use on your skin? My top-rated, guaranteed safe skin whitening creams are:
- Revitol Skin Brightener Cream
- Vikki Lamotta’s Perfect Skin Lightener
Meladerm contains no hydroquinone, mercury, steroids or parabens and is manufactured from the best natural ingredients. The active ingredient in Meladerm is Alpha-Arbutin, which is a biosynthetic ingredient. Other ingredients are:
- Tego Cosmo C: A natural amino acid that lightens skin and prevents discoloration.
- Gigawhite: A plant-based, natural skin lightener.
- Kojic acid: Kojic acid is a fungus that inhibits melanin production.
- Licorice extract: Licorice root extract inhibits the formation of skin pigmentation.
- Niacin Amide
- Mulberry extract
- Bearberry extract
- Glycolic acid
- Lactic acid
- Lemon juice extract
- Vitamin C
- Emblica extract
Revitol is a safe skin whitening cream that contains herbal ingredients and will help to reduce age spots, freckles, birthmarks and uneven skin tones. The cream contains no mercury, hydroquinone or steroids. Revitol cost about 45% less than Meladerm.
- Arbutin: Arbutin helps reduce the appearance of dark areas. Arbutin is extracted from bearberry leaf but also found in wheat and pear skins.
- Lumiskin: Inhibits Tryosinase, lightens skin and promotes even skin tone.
- Shea butter: Derived from the nut of the Karite tree. It protects the skin from sun damage and keeps it soft and firm.
- Evening primrose oil: An effective skin moisturiser.
- Allantoin: Comfrey extract which is a skin softener and promotes skin health.
- Grapefruit seed extract: A natural preservative and antioxidant.
- Vitamins A, C and E
Vikki Lamotta’s Perfect skin lightener contains only safe, natural ingredients. No mercury, hydroquinone or TCA is used in the manufacturing process. Arbutin is the main ingredient in the cream and is extracted from Bearberry leaf. It also contains:
- Jojoba oil
- Apricot kernel oil
- Hyaluronic acid
Safe skin whitening creams must fulfil F.D.A. criteria and effectively treat the problem of skin darkening, discoloration, uneven tone and age spots. Many creams come with a hefty price tag and these may be both dangerous and ineffective. Do your homework and choose products that work to benefit, not harm your skin.
Back to the top of page: “Safe Skin Whitening Creams”
Return to the home page: Natural Herbal Remedies Guide